In this day and age, cell phones have become indispensable for most people. With any device which has batteries and a charging apparatus, there are product defects that can possibly cause personal injury. There have been cases of cell phones exploding while charging, shocking users, and most recently, causing second-degree burns.
Many cases have involved a defective battery. A college student at the University of Guelph in Canada was sleeping when her smartphone exploded, catching fire. Her phone was not charging at the time, and the cell phone company claims the battery was not the genuine one sold with the phone. Additionally, there was a case in South Korea where a Samsung Galaxy Note’s battery became so hot it caused burns on the owner’s right thigh. According to www.ubergizmo.com, a Samsung spokesman reportedly stated, “Lithium ion batteries can catch fire due to external pressure or sudden changes in temperature…”
Recently, a teen in Illinois was using her cell phone as it was charging, when it emitted an electric shock, causing her necklace to act as a conductor. The electric current then burned the teen’s neck, resulting in second-degree burns. The teen and her mother stated that the charger was the original that came with the cell phone. The cell phone company has since replaced the phone, paid for medical expenses, and is investigating into the cause of the electrical shock.
If you have been injured by a defective product, it is vital to contact an experienced personal injury attorney. The Law Offices of Levine & Slavit, PLLC represents clients in personal injury matters relating to dangerous or malfunctioning products and will fight for your right to receive compensation. Contact (888) LAW-8088 for a consultation today.