While most people immediately realize they are beginning to fall after slipping on a slick surface, a recent report by Science News, found that older adults “need twice as long as young adults to realize they are falling,” placing them at an increased risk for serious injuries.
The University of Waterloo conducted a study, where researchers concluded that older adults have more lag time when recognizing that they are falling, resulting in serious or sometimes even fatal injuries.
According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA):
- 25% of those 65 years of age and older fall once per year;
- Every 11 seconds a senior is treated for a fall;
- Every 19 minutes a senior sustains fatal injuries from a fall;
- Most fatal injuries among seniors occur from a fall;
- The leading cause of hospital admission in senior is from falls; and
- Falls contribute to more than 2.8 million injuries each year leading to emergency room care and upwards of 800,000 admissions.
A delayed reaction time may often lead to more severe injuries for seniors that are victims of a slip and fall, which may then require long-term care in a rehabilitation facility or even a skilled nursing facility.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident as a result of another person’s negligence, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney who can assist you in receiving the compensation you deserve. The attorneys at Levine & Slavit, PLLC have over 60 years of experience representing clients in personal injury actions, including premise liability and slip and fall accidents. With offices conveniently located in New York City and Long Island, Levine & Slavit, PLLC represents clients throughout Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and both Nassau County and Suffolk County. For more information and to schedule a consultation, call (888)-LAW-8088.