According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2016 more than half of the motor vehicle deaths involved a single-vehicle crash. In addition, in New York State there were almost 700 deaths as a result of a single-vehicle crash.
Single-vehicle crashes include the following:
- A motorist colliding into a barrier, fence, retaining wall, tree, poll, or building;
- A motorist being run off the road;
- An object falling onto a motorist’s vehicle;
- A vehicle flipping over; or
- A motorist striking an animal such as a deer.
Even though a single-vehicle car crash occurred, it does not mean that another party cannot be held responsible for the crash. Examples where another party may be held liable in a single-vehicle car crash include:
- Vehicle malfunction;
- Inadequate roadway signs;
- Faulty lights;
- Downed pole, tree, or wires; and
- Hazardous road conditions such as a pothole.
A person that is injured in a single-vehicle car crash as a result of another party’s negligence may recover damages. Negligence is the failure to use the standard of care that a reasonably prudent person under similar circumstances would have used and as a result of this failure, a person was injured. To prove negligence, a person must show:
- The defendant had a duty of care;
- The duty of care was breached;
- The breach was a direct cause of the accident; and
- The Plaintiff was harmed.
In addition, it is important to note that potential defendants in these cases are often municipalities and that the time to file against municipalities is often 90 days of the date of the accident.
If you have been injured in a single-vehicle car crash, it is important to contact an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer who can advise you of your legal rights and remedies. The lawyers at Levine and Slavit, PLLC assist clients in collecting the damages they need to cope with being involved in an accident on the road. For more information or to schedule a constulation with our New York auto accident lawyers, call (888) LAW-8088 or fill out our contact form.