Motor Vehicle Accidents, Falls and Medical Complications Make Strong Showings in Annual "Odds of Dying" Report
June is National Safety Month, which focuses on reducing leading causes of injury and death at work, on the road and in our homes and communities. The National Safety Council began National Safety Month by releasing its annual list of Americans’ ‘Odds of Dying’. The list of statistical averages details the lifetime odds of dying from various causes of death, calculated using fatality data for the entire U.S. population.
Here’s a list of ‘Odds of Dying’ from common activities versus those that are commonly feared:
- A motor vehicle crash (1-112) vs. a commercial airplane crash (1-96,566)
- Overdosing on opioid prescription painkillers (1-234) vs. being electrocuted (1-12,200)
- Falling (1-144) vs. a cataclysmic storm (1-6,780)
- Being a passenger in a car (1-470) vs. a lightning strike (1-164,968)
- Walking down or crossing the street (1-704) vs. a wasp, bee or hornet sting (1-55,764)
- Complications from surgical or medical care (1,532) vs. an earthquake (1-179,965)
People obviously cannot absolutely protect themselves from being exposed to these risks. So making safe decisions can reduce the risks of being killed in preventable incidents, such as wearing a seat belt, turning off cell phones and designating a sober driver.
Last month the National Safety Council reported that according to their estimates, cell phone-related crashes now account for 27 percent of all crashes. This percentage has risen in each of the past 3 years. The estimate includes crashes involving drivers who are texting or talking on handheld or hands-free cell phones.
Seek Legal Help If You or a Loved One Is Injured
If you or someone that you care about has been seriously injured in an accident, it's important that you speak with our attorneys. We will stand behind you every step of the way and help you receive just compensation for any injuries sustained or hardships endured.
Speak with the Lawyers of Levine & Slavit, PLLC
To discuss your legal claim with skilled attorneys who will not be intimidated and will not back down, we encourage you to contact our personal injury law firm today.