Avoiding Slip and Fall Accidents During the Holidays
The holidays are a time for enjoying the festivities with friends and family. Many people are busy shopping, decorating, and completing their holiday tasks. At such a busy time, nothing can ruin the season more than an accident. However, 1.9 million slip and falls occur each holiday season with falls from roofs and ladders being responsible for 56% of injuries.
Slip and falls can arise under a number of circumstances during the holidays. For example, they can occur at shopping malls, while decorating, at holiday parties, outdoors, etc. Liability arises depending on where the accident occurred and who had a duty to keep the premises safe. If the slip and fall happened because of a condition that the premise owner knew about (or should have known about) and failed to remedy, you may be able to recover for the injuries you incurred as a result.
Some tips for avoiding slip and falls during the holidays:
· When decorating at heights, make sure someone is present to hold the ladder steady
· Take precautions in avoiding slippery surfaces where rain and snow accumulate
· Make sure that paths are clear of extension cords
· If you are decorating outside, do it during the day or make sure there is adequate lighting
· Avoid decorating the roof
· Clean up any spills at holiday parties as soon as they occur
If you have been injured in a slip and fall this holiday season, contact a personal injury attorney who is skilled at dealing with such issues. The attorneys at Levine & Slavit, PLLC have over 50 years of experience representing clients in personal injury actions, including slip and fall injuries. With offices conveniently located in Manhattan and Long Island, Levine & Slavit, PLLC represents clients throughout New York City and both Nassau and Suffolk counties. For more information and to schedule a consultation, call (888)LAW-8088.