Button Batteries In Your Child’s Toy Could Be Cause for Concern By on January 08, 2016

Tragedy struck two days after Christmas for one Oklahoma family when a two-year-old toddler died six days after swallowing a button battery.

The day after Christmas, Brianna Florer of Jay, Oklahoma, began exhibiting signs that something was wrong.  The next day, her condition worsened and the family drove Brianna from their rural home to meet an ambulance. Despite emergency surgery efforts, the child did not survive.

Young children swallowing lithium batteries has become a dangerous trend in recent months. According to Dr. Kris Jantana, more than 3,500 children, most under the age of 6, were hospitalized last year as a result of swallowing these batteries. 

A button battery is a round, coin-sized lithium battery that is commonly used in children’s toys and books, as well as musical greeting cards, keyless entry remotes, wireless game controls, digital scales and thermometers, watches, calculators and flashing jewelry and shoes. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, children under the age of 4 are highest at risk of swallowing button batteries.

While some batteries pass through the body without causing harm, others can be life-threatening. When a button battery is stuck in the esophagus, the tissue wraps around the battery, connects the current and results in a higher pH level, which liquefies the tissue and dissolves it. For those who don’t witness a child swallowing the battery, the symptoms may be overlooked, as they will appear similar to that of a virus or cold. In most cases, an x-ray is required to confirm that a battery has been ingested. 

For parents, it is important to thoroughly inspect these products to ensure the battery is secured inside a compartment or child-resistant compartment, especially for those that are easily accessible to children.

If your child swallowed a battery and has been injured due to a defective toy or product, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can advise you of your legal rights. Levine & Slavit, PLLC represents clients in defective children’s toy cases and will fight for your right to receive compensation.  Contact (888) LAW-8088 for a consultation today.



Related to This

Levine & Slavit, PLLC Logo

Levine & Slavit, PLLC

The law firm of Levine & Slavit, PLLC has served clients in Long Island and the Greater New York City-area since 1957. We are a team of personal injury and wrongful death lawyers who work tirelessly for victims' rights. Our team is licensed and affiliated with the:

  • New York State Bar Association
  • New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners
  • Florida Board of Bar Examiners
  • U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
  • U.S. District Court Southern District of New York

Please contact our practice online for a free consultation or call (212) 687-2777 to speak to an attorney today. 

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 60 E 42nd St Ste 2101 New York, NY

Manhattan Office

60 E 42nd St
Ste 2101
New York, NY 10165

Closed Today

By Appointment Only

Google map image of our location in 350 Willis Ave Ste 100 Long Island, NY

Mineola Office

350 Willis Ave
Ste 100
Long Island, NY 11501

Closed Today

By Appointment Only

(212) 687-2777 Send a message