Thirty-eight people — including one person from New York — became ill in connection with recalled flour products from General Mills. Patch reported that many of these people contracted E. coli O121 after handling or eating uncooked dough.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that 10 people were hospitalized, but no one was diagnosed with kidney failure and no deaths were reported. Although CDC officials recognized the outbreak back in February, the agency did not find the connections to the recall for another two months.
Those who are infected with E. coli O121 may develop hemolytic uremic … Read the rest
In this day and age, cell phones have become indispensable for most people. With any device which has batteries and a charging apparatus, there are product defects that can possibly cause personal injury. There have been cases of cell phones exploding while charging, shocking users, and most recently, causing second-degree burns.
Many cases have involved a defective battery. A college student at the University of Guelph in Canada was sleeping when her smartphone exploded, catching fire. Her phone was not charging at the time, and the cell phone company claims the battery was not the genuine one sold with … Read the rest
Talcum powder is a hydrated magnesium silicate and most often seen in its popular baby powder form. Women also use talcum powder for personal hygiene and cosmetic purposes. Recently, there have been claims that talcum powder causes ovarian cancer, and that manufacturers have looked the other way.
Recently, the household brand name of Johnson & Johnson has come under attack. Johnson & Johnson (J&J) manufactures a diverse line of products ranging from baby powder to antipsychotic drugs. With so many varied products, J&J has been sued multiple times in the past for product defects and personal injuries. According to Bloomberg.com, … Read the rest
Tragedy struck two days after Christmas for one Oklahoma family when a two-year-old toddler died six days after swallowing a button battery.
The day after Christmas, Brianna Florer of Jay, Oklahoma, began exhibiting signs that something was wrong. The next day, her condition worsened and the family drove Brianna from their rural home to meet an ambulance. Despite emergency surgery efforts, the child did not survive.
Young children swallowing lithium batteries has become a dangerous trend in recent months. According to Dr. Kris Jantana, more than 3,500 children, most under the age of 6, were hospitalized last year as a … Read the rest
Hoverboards have become very popular among the pre-teen and teenage population, and have been given as many holiday gifts this year. However, safety concerns have arisen concerning hoverboards, which require the user to balance as the board moves at a rate of over ten miles per hour. In many instances, users fail to wear helmets. With the rate of how quickly the hoverboards can move, this can create a dangerous situation for the user. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 29 emergency room visits related to hoverboard use were reported since August 2015.
According to Consumerreports.org, one recent … Read the rest
Defective children’s toys present inherent hazards to those of all ages. While younger children may be more prone to choking on small items, older children are more prone to taking risks and misusing toys in what can sometimes be a dangerous manner. A defective children’s toy can increase those risks as well as present others.
From 2012 to 2013, the number of recalls related to children’s products increased by 18%. It is important to be aware of any product recalls for children’s toys that can arise during the holiday season and year round. This means keeping an eye out on … Read the rest
Go onto the U.S. Department of Labor’s website and you will find much to read about what OSHA is attempting to do to reduce the exposure of workers to chromium, and more particularly hexavalent chromium, a dangerous and potentially life-threatening product. Industrial processes that involve chromium can result in worker exposure to toxic hexavalent chromium. It is estimated that 558,000 workers are potentially exposed to hexavalent chromium [Cr(VI)] in the United States. Job tasks that may expose workers to Cr(VI) include spray painting, sanding, grinding and abrasive blasting.
A major source of worker exposure to hexavalent chromium occurs during “hot … Read the rest
A man who worked as a cashier at a diner housed in a trailer on property owned by The Long Island Rail Road (“LIRR”) in the 1970s can proceed with his claim against the LIRR that he got mesothelioma from being exposed to asbestos that railroad workers brought into the eatery on their clothes, even though he did not personally work with asbestos. The LIRR’s motion for summary judgment was denied in Frieder v. Long Island Railroad, 190212/12, in a decision by Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Sherry Klein Heitler dated May 17.
The plaintiff Morton Frieder worked at the Dashing … Read the rest
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has announced a voluntary recall of SeriScaffold surgical scaffold product (Product Number: SCF10X25AGEN), a bio-resorbable surgical mesh for use in open or laparoscopic procedures manufactured by Allergan, Inc. The reason for the recall is that the mesh may have been packaged in improperly sealed pouches with resultant contamination, and surgical sterility cannot be assured. It is unclear how it was learned that the product packaging was defective, but our office knows of at least one person who suffered an infection believed to have resulted from contamination of SeriScaffold.
More specifically, the outer of the … Read the rest
On September 26, 2012, New England Compounding Center (NECC) recalled more than 17,000 steroids delivered to medical facilities in 23 states because of an outbreak of fungal meningitis suffered by patients injected with the contaminated product. Now this past week Med Prep Consulting, Inc. “voluntarily” recalled all lots of its products after being notified by a Connecticut hospital that it observed visible particulate contaminants confirmed to be mold in 50 ml bags of Magnesium Sulfate 2 grams in Dextrose 5% for Injection products compounded at its facility.
Administration of an intravenous product found to be contaminated with mold could result … Read the rest