Truck Accident Attorneys New York City
Trucks are responsible for more than 500,000 accidents each year. United States Department of Transportation reports indicate that commercial truck accidents account for 98 percent of traffic fatalities involving automobile drivers annually. >In 2009, there were 3,380 fatal accidents involving large trucks and countless others with catastrophic injuries. Common causes of a truck accident include driver fatigue, substance abuse, speeding, and other failures to obey the rules of the road, such as following too closely and changing lanes improperly, improper inspection and maintenance of trucks, and improperly loaded trucks. In order to control these factors and reduce the number of truck accidents, state and federal law imposes numerous regulations on truck owners and operators in terms of their conduct and route designations, as well as the size and weight of their loads. At Levine & Slavit, PLLC we have helped many victims of a truck accident in New York City and elsewhere receive the help and compensation they deserve.>
Nuances of >Truck Accident Litigation
Litigating a truck accident differs from litigating accidents involving other types of motor vehicles in large part because of the ability of a plaintiff’s lawyer to obtain records that the law requires be kept to prove their compliance with the law. Some of these types of records are:
- Reports, statements and other data pertaining to personal injuries or damage to property;
- Claim registers, card or book indexes, and other records which record personal injury, fire and other claims against the company, together with all supporting data for one year after settlement;
- Dispatchers’ sheets, registers, and other records pertaining to movement of transportation equipment;
- Records, reports, orders and tickets pertaining to weighting of freight;
- Hours of service with maximum driving times regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration;
- Drivers’ daily 24-hour logbook Record of Duty Status or Automatic or Electric on-board recording device of hours of service.
The law also mandates that truck companies test for alcohol for each surviving driver who performed safety-sensitive functions with respect to the vehicle if the accident involved the loss of human life. Other required testing includes pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, and return-to-duty testing. When it comes to a truck accident in New York City or elsewhere, the law is on your side, make sure you find someone who can help you receive what is rightfully yours.
Learn More about Truck Accident Litigation
While we hope you are never involved in any kind of accident, if you are the victim of a negligent truck driver or owner, contact the law offices of Levine & Slavit, PLLC for a free consultation. You can visit one of our offices in Manhattan or on Long Island, or we will come to you, at home or in the hospital.