Product Liability Attorneys of Long Island
Commercial product manufacturers and distributors are responsible for providing consumers with products that will not threaten their health and safety. When companies rush products to market or fail to fulfill this obligation for any number of reasons, personal injuries can result. In fact, according to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission statistics, nearly 30 million American sustain injuries every year due to defective products. These injuries can lead to serious physical, emotional, and financial outcomes, placing tremendous burdens on victims and their families. If you or a loved one have suffered a defective product injury, the personal injury attorneys at Levine & Slavit, PLLC can represent you in a product liability lawsuit. We have been providing just personal injury verdicts and settlements to our clients for decades.
Defining Defective Products
Product liability laws are designed to protect consumers from the manufacture and distribution of defective commercial products. When a defective product causes an injury, product liability laws allow the victim to sue for damages. Products may be determined to be defective if they exhibit one or more of the following flaws:
- Design defects: The product is deemed dangerous due to inadequate or hazardous design. For example, toys manufactured for small children that contain parts that can cause choking if swallowed would be considered defective.
- Manufacturing defects: The product sold does not conform to the manufacturing specifications, usually due to poor quality control during the production process. A ladder that is improperly assembled and collapses during use would be an example.
- Marketing defects: Marketing defects can include misleading advertising claims, inadequate or incorrect instructions, and insufficient safety warnings. This often includes drugs that do not have warning labels regarding potential side effects and drug interactions.
In many product liability cases, whether manufacturers attempted to address the defect is irrelevant. If a flawed product causes catastrophic injury or wrongful death, the manufacturer is still liable for damages, regardless of whether or not they made an effort to prevent defects.
Types of Product Liability Cases
Any consumer product can have design, manufacturing, or marketing defects. Product liability claims have been filed for a variety of product types, including:
- Motor vehicles– including cars, motorcycles, and buses
- Roadways and sidewalks
- Medical products and equipment
- Drugs and medications
- Home repair products
- Toxic chemicals and substances
- Baby strollers
Any party involved in the design, manufacture, or marketing of a product may be held liable in product liability cases. Victims may be entitled to compensation for any physical, emotional, and financial damages incurred.
Schedule Your Consultation
Arriving at the verdict and settlement that defective product victims deserve requires a great deal of legal knowledge and skill. These types of cases are complex, and defendants, particularly large cooperations, often have vast legal resources. To ensure you receive fair compensation, you need the experience of a personal injury attorney with a long-standing and proven record of delivering justice to their clients. Contact the Long Island office of Levine & Slavit, PLLC and schedule your consultation today.