Each year, across Long Island, thousands of high school students participate in football. However, in the wake of several recent fatalities, these students are hesitant to storm the field.… Read the rest
While driving on Long Island, it is a common sight to see the phrase “Click It or Ticket” sprawled out on digital highway signs over Long Island’s busiest roads. The campaign created by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is aimed at preventing fatal motor vehicle accidents by alerting drivers and passengers of the importance of wearing seatbelts.… Read the rest
In October 2017, Fisher-Price and Mattel announced a recall of about 65,000 motorized infant motion seats after discovering that the motors were overheating and could lead to a fire. These motion seats retail for approximately $160.00 to $200.00. The seats feature a number of soothing features that include bouncing, vibrating, and swaying, while also playing music. The affected models were sold nationwide between November 2015 and October 2017 online and in retail stores, such as Buy Buy Baby, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Amazon, among others.… Read the rest
Proper use of car seats and seat belts are essential to protecting the lives of children in motor vehicles. A recent study has revealed that one in five children involved in fatal car accidents were either unrestrained or improperly restrained. Recently, it was reported that the Graco My Ride 65 convertible car seat may be defective due to its failure to restrain a child in a car accident.… Read the rest
Pitocin and Syntocinon are brand names for the drug Oxytocin, which is a synthetic hormone used to speed up the process of childbirth. The drug is administered intravenous and delivers concentrations of calcium to a layer of the uterine wall. This helps to promote uterine contractions.… Read the rest
Summertime is finally here! It is the best time of year for a family BBQ, which oftentimes involves hot dogs, hamburgers, and steaks. The most common staple at every summer cookout is hotdogs because they are quick and easy food to make. Recently, a popular hot dog brand company had its “dogs” recalled, due to concerns about safety.… Read the rest
September is Baby Safety Month and this year’s theme, “Baby Safety Right Out of the Box,” focuses on the importance of product registration cards and product recalls. The theme is designed to educate parents and caregivers on the importance of filling out the registration cards included with most baby and toddler products. For many parents, it can be overwhelming to think about registering the seemingly endless amount of baby gear. However, this is a good way to stay informed about recent product recalls and to ensure that these products for the baby are safe.
Product registration cards are small, paid-postage … Read the rest
Recently, Far East Brokers and Consultants, Inc. of Jacksonville, FL has recalled its Leisure Way pink-butterfly-themed children’s camp chair and swings and LaRose Industries of Randolph, NJ recalled several of its Cra-Z-Jewelz Gem Creations products due to excessive levels of lead, which is a violation of the federal lead standard. Lead is a cumulative toxin that affects the body’s nervous system and bloodstream and is particularly harmful to young children.
It’s a parent’s worst nightmare. A mother brings her toddler in for a routine dental procedure and her child passes away. That is the reality for Betty Squire, a young Texas mother whose 14-month-old daughter, Daisy Lynn Torres, died after being administered anesthesia for a cavity filling in March 2016. This recent tragedy brings to light the dangers of using anesthesia on children during minor dental procedures.
When Ms. Squire brought Daisy into the dentist’s office at Austin Children’s Hospital to have two cavities filled, the dental staff informed her that they were going to put her under anesthesia and … Read the rest
Tragedy struck two days after Christmas for one Oklahoma family when a two-year-old toddler died six days after swallowing a button battery.
The day after Christmas, Brianna Florer of Jay, Oklahoma, began exhibiting signs that something was wrong. The next day, her condition worsened and the family drove Brianna from their rural home to meet an ambulance. Despite emergency surgery efforts, the child did not survive.
Young children swallowing lithium batteries has become a dangerous trend in recent months. According to Dr. Kris Jantana, more than 3,500 children, most under the age of 6, were hospitalized last year as a … Read the rest