Tragedy struck two days after Christmas for one Oklahoma family when a two-year-old toddler died six days after swallowing a button battery.
The day after Christmas, Brianna Florer of Jay, Oklahoma, began exhibiting signs that something was wrong. The next day, her condition worsened and the family drove Brianna from their rural home to meet an ambulance. Despite emergency surgery efforts, the child did not survive.
Young children swallowing lithium batteries has become a dangerous trend in recent months. According to Dr. Kris Jantana, more than 3,500 children, most under the age of 6, were hospitalized last year as a … Read the rest
After a long winter, the summer is upon us and it seems like a great time to head out to the pool. Unfortunately, this can be more dangerous than you think. So many swimming pool injuries occur through this season every year, which is why having legal representation from Levine & Slavit is so crucial. We have helped parents throughout the Long Island and Manhattan area deal with various legal matters that relate to children’s safety and the well-being of minors, because we feel that the rights of the young need to be taken very seriously.
The Summertime Can Be
… Read the rest
An article appeared recently on the website caremom.com titled, “9 Lifesaving Car Seat Rules You’re Probably Ignoring. The article reminded that car seats are installed and used correctly to avoid unnecessary personal injuries and even death of children in motor vehicle accidents. The article strongly recommends that the following rules be observed for the child’s safety when a car seat is being used:
1. Make sure the shoulder straps are in proper position-meaning that when the baby is rear-facing, the straps should be at or below the baby’s shoulders.
2. Baby should be rear-facing until at least 2 years old … Read the rest